Monday, September 25, 2017

May I Order Breakfast?




"Did you you see what she posted?"

I heard the murmur as I walked through the office.  Then I heard the sighs, the laughs, and I imagined the eye-rolling.

2009 had ushered-in a new age in communication, and everyone who was anyone was embracing the idea of sharing your life online.  Up until now, you could closely control with whom you shared information.  After all, it was you making the phone call, writing the letter, or sending the occasional text.  That last mode was often more effort than it was worth, as very few of us had phones with full keyboards.

How many times do I hit the number 3 to make an "f?"

Phones, letters, and texts weren't sure-fire means of keeping information private.  There was still the gossip line, so sometimes, information given to a supposed private source made it's way into the rest of the office.  At least the information seemed to travel slower.

Not anymore. 


Communication as we knew it seemed to become impersonal overnight, as Facebook and Twitter became the new rage.  Now, at the press of a button, you could share anything with EVERYONE in an instant.  And we all worked with someone who grabbed this opportunity to overshare by the horns.  Endless pictures of breakfast, dinner, and dogs.  Lots of pictures of dogs.  The strange thing about this new medium, and perhaps, the most refreshing thing...we were learning more about each other than it seemed we had in the past.  Granted, some of the information was likely stuff we didn't need to know, but for the first time, it was all out there.  No longer did you have to get to know someone before learning about their family, their vacations, or the concerts they attended.  Now, all that and more was being shared in the moment it was happening.

I was among those who made light of the "look at me,"  "look where I am," and the "look what I can do" bunch.  Which made it very sobering when one day, I looked at my own social media stream, and realized I was in as deep as everyone else.  For some reason, it became perfectly acceptable to overshare.  Matter of fact, if you didn't participate, You found yourself left behind.  Those who weren't on Facebook actually lost touch with friends who had embraced the medium as a main avenue of communication.  "Oh, I thought you knew?  I posted it a few weeks ago," became more and more common.  Times were changing, and if you wanted to be a part of the conversation, you were required to jump into the stream.


Today, social media remains the way most people communicate most often.  In my opinion, it has fueled somewhat of a frenzy.  Never in the history of my profession has information been gleaned so quickly.  Not too long ago, a top story remained part of the news cycle for days, as reporters fleshed-out more and more angles.  Today, within hours, you know everything.  By the next day, the story is no longer being talked about.  Again, my opinion here, but there's SO MUCH going on in social media, opinions are often shared as facts, and the majority of what's consumed via social media isn't filtered through much of a personal litmus, fact checker, or in the crudest sense, a B-S barometer.


And now, more than ever, Social Media has become political.

Politicians, patriots, and street preachers use their timelines to further their causes.  And the average Joe, who used to be satisfied with posts of cute puppies and newborn grandchildren, takes daily jabs at those who don't share their political ideals.  We share "articles" without checking facts.   I put that last word in quotes, because the majority of "news" on Facebook comes from clearly right or left leaning blogs that take a snowflake of fact, and add enough opinions that it becomes a blinding blizzard.  We used to just laugh out loud when we saw this "news" on the covers of the supermarket tabloids.  We used to dismiss something that seemed so far-fetched.

To those who post in Social Media only after checking facts, my sincere apologies.

And I need to be clear:  By writing this post, it is not my intent to criticize your beliefs, your politics, or whatever else you hold dear.

I just want to order breakfast.

At a time politics have clearly divided us...down to our social media posts, I long for the pictures of bacon, cute puppies, and newborn grandchildren.  I never thought I'd miss those posts boasting of "look where I got to go on vacation," or "look what concert I'm attending."  But I DO miss them.

And again, it's not that I don't believe you have a right to share your opinions.  You obviously do.  It's the way some share that isn't really sharing at all.  It's "I'm right, you're wrong."  It's "My way or bust" and it's "If you disagree, I will block you."  In preschool, sharing was about taking turns and being considerate of everyone else in the room. 

I just made myself chuckle.  Often times, we accuse those we disagree with of being a baby.  It seems to me that the babies and toddlers in preschool know more about sharing and community than some of us grown-ups.

It's always occurred to me that if you have an ideal worth sticking up for, you would consider finding effective ways for me to try and understand your perspective.  If you are championing a cause, isn't it in your best interest to recruit more champions?  Are you going to effectively recruit someone by stating you have all the facts and they do not?  You might bully them into submission, but I'm not sure that makes you a champion.

What does going online and calling people "idiots," "stupid," or worse, "unpatriotic," accomplish?  I gotta be honest, it likely lowers others' opinions of who you are.  Maybe that doesn't matter to you, and some may take exception with me, saying "Well Brian, I was told to be true to myself no matter what others say."  I was taught the same thing, but isn't part of the lesson of being true to one's self being true to others?  Being a good listener, considering all options and opinions, perhaps respectfully disagreeing and moving on?  Calling those who disagree with you "idiots" online demands someone's loyalty, it doesn't earn it.  Of all the things that appear to be entitlements these days, at last check, respect is not one of them.

So, if everyone is going on Facebook and posting that I'm stupid, idiotic, and unpatriotic for not seeing things their way, I guess I don't want to play anymore.  If you're not really interested in sharing, I can find other things to do with my time.

I'm not on Social Media as much these days because I'm just not sure politics belong there.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if someone posted "So, I'm really torn on the issue of _________.  Can you, as my friends, share your thoughts to help me come to my own conclusion?" Comments that are heartfelt reasons to support either side of the political spectrum would follow. 

Yet, that's not how it seems to be working. 

I know the world can't be all sunshine, happy thoughts, and yes, cute puppies, but it doesn't have to be the other extreme...where we take-up political causes and put down anyone who doesn't agree. Its something that sometimes goes beyond online life, as these days, it seems more common people are calling others "idiots" to their faces, which is just as bad as hiding behind your computer screen.  I hate to say it, because it will put me at odds with others, but I guess I should expect all this.  After all, if the leaders of the country are modeling behavior online that calls those who disagree "idiots" and even "SOBs" I guess I can't hold the public to a high degree of manners and decorum.  

My social stream has been a little dry lately, and now, I hope you understand why.  I suppose I could do my part, and post more pictures of my dogs.  But then I see someones emotional rant, and it puts me in a funk.  I'm just losing interest in the selfish monologues that strive to tear us down instead of building us up, and will be stepping away from the apps and the keyboard more often.

Unless you post about bacon.










No comments:

Post a Comment